Vibracore sediment sampling is a relatively new technology EnviroScience uses to obtain undisturbed cores of unconsolidated sediments (think muck, sand) in saturated or nearly saturated conditions (i.e., underwater, wetlands, beaches, etc.) This technology works by driving sampling tubes with a high-frequency vibrating device.
During coring, the vibration liquifies the surrounding sediments. This greatly reduces the friction so the core tube penetrates into the sediment layer much easier and with less disturbance to—and compression of—the core sample itself. Compared to traditional coring devices such as box cores, gravity cores, and piston cores, vibracore (a.k.a. vibrating core sampler) has a higher core sample recovery rate.
The vibracorers that EnviroScience uses are effective in both shallow and deep environments. We can retrieve core samples with different lengths—even up to 12 feet—depending on sediment lithology.
Benefits of Vibracore Sediment Sampling
- Minimal “core compression” compared to other methods for accurate true depth of sample recovery
- Out-performs non-vibratory coring devices, such as box cores, gravity cores, and pistons cores
- Portable solution – EnviroScience’s equipment can be deployed from even a small john boat to access shallow (<1 foot) hard-to-access areas, or can be deployed from our larger vessels in open water
- Crews experienced in environmental sampling and working in coastal environments nationwide
Common Applications of Vibracore Sediment Sampling
- Sediment characterization for dredge / disposal projects
- Sediment characterization for remediation
- Sediment biotoxicity / analytical sampling
- Characterization of sediment type profiles (i.e., mapping sediment depths of a clay layer, sediment layer of interest, etc.)
- EnviroScience can combine results with bathymetry and GPS data to develop 3D Geographic Information System (GIS) or CAD models
Few environmental firms in the country retain EnviroScience’s degree of scientific know-how, talent, and capability under one roof. The diverse backgrounds of our biologists, environmental engineers, scientists, and divers enable us to provide comprehensive in-house services and an integrated approach to solving environmental challenges—saving clients time, reducing costs, and ensuring high-quality results.
Our client guarantee is to provide “Excellence in Any Environment” meaning no matter what we do, we will deliver on our Core Values of respect, client advocacy, quality work, accountability, teamwork, and safety. EnviroScience was created with the concept that we could solve complex problems by empowering great people. This concept still holds true today, as our scientists explore the latest in environmental legislation and regulations and incorporate the most up-to-date technology to gather and report data.
EnviroScience expertise includes but is not limited to: aquatic survey (including macroinvertebrate surveys and biological assessments); ecological restoration; ecological services (including impact assessments, invasive species control, and water quality monitoring); emergency response; engineering and compliance services; endangered mussel surveys; laboratory and analysis; stormwater management; threatened and endangered species; and wetlands and streams (including delineation and mitigation). Further, EnviroScience is one of the few biological firms in the country that is a general member of the Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI) and offers full-service commercial diving services.