Amphibian and reptile surveys are often performed as part of aquatic and terrestrial survey or wildlife inventories. These surveys are effective at detecting the presence of even the most elusive species. With the unprecedented decline of many reptiles and amphibians, it is likely that more species will be listed under the federal Endangered Species Act or state regulations in the near future. As this occurs, the importance of herpetological survey will only increase.
Our experienced herpetologists have scientific collection permits and are experts at detecting and tracking reptiles and amphibians in their diversity of habitats. They use a variety of tools and methods to collect thorough and accurate data. For example, Visual Encounter Surveys (VES) are performed for herptiles by searching favorable habitats during the spring and summer months. Specialized traps and artificial habitat are designed to document crepuscular or otherwise difficult to observe species. Auditory surveys detect frogs and toads, and larval amphibians are identified in the laboratory.
Our herpetologists perform surveys for all of the Ohio threatened and endangered species listed below:
* = state threatened
! = state endangered
!Ft = state endangered and federally threatened
- Spotted Turtle (Clemmys guttata) *
- Blanding’s Turtle (Emydoidea blandingii) *
- Kirtland’s Snake (Clonophis kirtlandii) *
- Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) !
- Copper-bellied Watersnake (Nerodia erythrogaster neglecta) !Ft
- Lake Erie Watersnake (Nerodia sipedon insularum) *
- Smooth Greensnake (Opheodrys vernalis) !
- Eastern Massasauga (Sistrurus catenatus) !Ft
- Plains Gartersnake (Thamnophis radix) !
Amphibians: Frogs and Toads
- Eastern Spadefoot (Scaphiopus holbrookii) !
- Blue-spotted Salamander (Ambystoma laterale) !
- Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus) !
- Eastern Hellbender (Cryptobranchus a. alleganiensis) !
- Cave Salamander (Erycea lucifuga) !
- Mud Salamander (Pseudotriton montanus) *
Need help with your project?
Our experts are here to discuss your needs and how we can help you move your project forward. Fill out the form below for more information on our services or to request a quote and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours. If you need a response within an hour or less, please call us at 800-940-4025.