Benthic Marine Invertebrate Services
EnviroScience offers turnkey services for benthic marine invertebrate sampling and identification, from field sampling on the water to laboratory sample identification and reporting. Using our survey vessels, we perform field sampling for in-shore and near-shore projects. Following receipt of your samples, our efficient and accurate taxonomic experts will analyze them, providing you with quality data.
Our services include:
- Field collection of marine, brackish, and freshwater macroinvertebrates using various methods, including Ponar, Ekman, net sweeps, and tows.
- On-site habitat characterization for aquatic and marine invertebrates through diving and Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) collection.
- Marine and freshwater collection and analysis protocols for the eastern U.S. and Gulf Coast, including USEPA, USGS, and NOAA.
- Water quality assessments using published metrics and developing new water quality metrics.
- WET testing (bioassay) using freshwater and marine species. We specialize in consulting on toxicity and analytical reporting for NPDES permit holders, including intakes and outfalls.
- Sediment toxicity testing using freshwater and marine species.
- Identification of all major groups of marine and freshwater macroinvertebrates including:
- Marine Polychaetes and other worms (e.g., annelid worms, nematodes, flatworms)
- Marine Crustaceans (e.g., Isopods, Amphipods, crabs, lobsters, crayfish, shrimp, woodlice, barnacles, copepods)
- Marine algae and periphyton (e.g., algae, bacteria, diatoms, and other microscopic biota) that live in and on sediments, rocks, and structures such as piers, pilings, intakes, commercial aquariums, and aquaculture
Other Related Freshwater / Marine / Brackish Habitat Services
- Submerged Aquatic Vegetation Surveys
- Vegetation ID
- Coastal Fisheries
- Trawl and gillnet sampling
- Fish tissue sampling